These are delicious little mouthfuls that can be served as a side to a meal or as a snack or canape at a party. They are beautiful to look at and the indulgent sundried tomato cream cheese with the fresh bursts of the little pomegranate rubies is a winning combination… even if we say so ourselves!
Makes 20 to 24 rolls
2 x Large Aubergines Mandolinned or thinly sliced length ways (we find we get 10 to 12 good slices out of a large Aubergine)
2 tubs or 460g Cream Cheese
80g Sundried tomato
30g Fresh Basil
1 x Pomegranate
1 tub shop bought or homemade pesto
Salt & Black Pepper
Basil Pesto: (keeps in an air tight container in the fridge for 2 weeks)
Blitz basil, garlic, olive oil and almonds together and then stir in the parmesan
125g fresh Basil
2 x garlic cloves
¾ Cup Olive Oil
½ Cup Grated Parmesan
½ Cup Toasted Almonds
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a blender pulse the cream cheese and sundried tomato together till well combined, pop this mixture into a bowl and into the fridge.
- Pan fry the thinly sliced aubergines until golden, but not too crisp as you’ll need them to be easy to roll.
- Place 1 heaped teaspoon of sundried tomato cream cheese mixture onto one end of the golden pan fried aubergine.
- Stud the cream cheese with pomegranate rubies and roll.
- Line your aunbergine rolls up on a platter and top with a teaspoon of basil pesto, fresh basil and more pomegranate rubies.