Healthy Ferrero Rochers:
The recipe is as follows:
300g chopped pitted dates
4T cocoa powder
2T coconut oil
80g toasted hazelnuts (40 g chopped for coating, 40g kept whole)
- Combine the dates, coconut oil, cocoa and water in a pot on a stovetop at a medium heat. Stir and squash together for about 10 minutes until the mixture is a more smooth paste like consistency.
- Pop the date mixture into a bowl and cool.
- Pinch off a piece of the date mixture (approximately a full teaspoon) flatten into a disc in the palm of your hand and place the whole toasted hazelnut in the centre. Roll the disc of date mixture around your hazelnut and coat in chopped hazelnuts.
Handy tip: if the mixture is a bit sticky while rolling, just rub a bit of coconut oil onto your hands.
Should make 25-30 balls, dependent on how much mixture you nibble while you are making it
Hearty Chicken Pie:
1 onion – sliced
400g mushrooms – chopped
3 T butter
6 rashes streaky bacon – cut into small pieces
5 sprigs thyme
4 chicken breasts
2 chicken stock cubes
2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
3 T corn flour mixed with 1/3 cup milk
1 roll puff Pastry
1 egg – beaten
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Put the butter, onions and mushrooms into a large pot on the stove on high heat. Fry off until the mushrooms are cooked and the onions have softened. Cook until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the chopped bacon bits and continue to cook until crispy
- Pick the leaves off the thyme and add to the pot
- Cut the chicken breasts into quarters and add to the pot. Fry until fully cooked through. Remove from the pot and shred, once shredded return to the pot
- Add the milk and cream and crumble the chicken stock cubes into the mixture
- Once simmering add the corn flour and milk paste and stir until thickened
- Add the spinach and wilt for a few minutes
- Pour the mixture into a oven proof dish, approximately 20 x 30 cm
- Roll the puff pastry out and lay over the pie filling. Pinch the edges of the pie pastry onto the dish to seal the filling, either with your fingers or a fork. Poke 4 holes with a knife in the top of the pastry to allow steam out.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and bake for 40 min until golden