We were so inspired by an Eid function that we catered recently with all of the delicious spiced treats, that we decided to experiment and make our own. These little cigars are flavoursome, crunchy, creamy, nutty and sweet…just about everything that you want from a dessert. They are super simple to make and really do look beautiful when they’re done. Perfect desserts at a dinner party or to add a bit of pizazz to your afternoon tea tray.
Nutty Spiced White Chocolate Cigars: Makes 6 to 8 Cigars
150g White Chocolate
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Essence
1/8 Teaspoon Almond Essence
6 T Chai Tea Powder
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/3 Cup Almond flakes – Toasted
3/4 Cup Cream
50g Shelled Pistachios, finely chopped
2 x Sheets Phyllo Pastry
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Break the chocolate up into a microwave safe bowl, add the vanilla and the almond essence.
- Melt in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Add the flaked almonds to the melted chocolate.
- Beat the cream until fluffy and add half of it to the chocolate mixture.
- Once the mixture has fully cooled add the remaining whipped cream, 3T spiced chai powder and cinnamon and spoon the mixture into a piping bag. Place the piping bag in the freezer to firm up for 15 minutes.
- Lay your sheets of phyllo out and brush the one side with melted butter, sprinkle the remaining spiced chai powder onto the sheets of phyllo and fold in half. Cut the buttery chai phyllo sandwich in half and in half again.
- Roll your phyllo pastry rectangles onto oven proof metal rods and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven, and leave to cool slightly before pulling them off the metal rod.
- Once removed from the metal rod, fill each little hollow cigar with your delicious spiced creamy mixture.
- Seal off each end by dipping them into the finely chopped pistachios and serve.
- Your guests will think that you are a domestic God/Goddess!