This Middle-Eastern inspired dish is so delicious served as part of a mezze selection or even with flatbreads as a falafel wrap. It’s super simple to make and has been a real hit every time we’ve made it for friends, family and customers.
Spinach & Herb Chickpea Falafels
Makes 10 – 12 Falafels
1 Tin Chickpeas
20g basil (or coriander is delicious here too)
40g Red onion
50g Fresh Spinach
1 clove of Garlic
3 T Chickpea Flour
1 t Baking Powder
1 t Cumin Seeds
1 t Coriander (ground)
Salt & Black Pepper
Dukkah/seeds for Coating
- Place all of the above ingredients into a food processor, and blend until combined. The consistency that you’re looking for here is a dough like consistency, not completely smooth, but not too chunky. Just in between.
- Break off a tablespoon of mixture at a time, roll into a ball and coat it with Dukkah, or crushed nuts or seeds of your choice.
- Deep fry until the outer coating is golden and crispy.
- We’ve served ours with a lemon and tahini cottage cheese, red pepper drizzle, fresh chopped herbs and sumac.
- You can do the same or serve with yoghurt, hummus, tomato salsa, pesto or dip of your choice. Enjoy!