Turkish Chicken Pie – Serves 6
1 Whole roast chicken – all the meat shredded off the bones
2 Onions – finely chopped
4 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons oil
2 Garlic cloves – crushed
½ Tablespoon cinnamon
1½ Tablespoon turmeric powder
1 Tablespoon cumin powder
1 Tablespoon chili flakes
½ Tablespoon cayenne pepper
½ Tablespoon ground ginger
2 Bay leaves
500ml Chicken stock
1 tin Chick peas drained
2 T Corn flour
50g Fresh coriander – chopped
50g Fresh parsley – chopped
½ Tablespoon Salt
2 T Honey
1 Bag Kataifi pastry or ½ a roll of phyllo pastry
250g melted butter to brush the pastry
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Fry your onions in the oil and butter in a big pot, after the onions have softened add the garlic and fry for another few minutes.
- Add all of the spices to the pot and fry for 5 minutes allowing your spices to toast. Keep stirring throughout the 5 minutes.
- Add the bay leaves, chicken stock and chick peas and cook for another 10 minutes
- Mix your corn flour with a little water (approximately ¼ cup) until you have a runny paste with no lumps.
- Pour your corn flour mixture into the pot and stir until the mixture has thickened.
- Take your pot off the heat and add the fresh herbs, honey, salt and shredded chicken.
- If you are using the Kataifi pastry pour the melted butter over the pastry and rub it all together until all the little pastry threads are covered with butter. Line a 32cm round spring-form tin with the pastry on the bottom and 4cm up the sides. Pour the filling in and cover the top with more pastry.
- If you are using phyllo pastry, brush the sheets with butter and layer 6 sheets in your 32cm round spring-form tin. Line the bottom and the sides with the one side of the pastry rectangle leaving the other to fall over the edge of the tin. Once you have 6 layers on the bottom pour the filling into your pastry case and fold the other side of the pastry over the top forming the “lid” of your pie.
- Bake for 1 hour until the pastry is golden and crispy.